When you set up your AOL account on a mail app like- outlook, thunderbird or other mobile or pc apps and it gives you the imap.aol not responding error. It means your phone or pc is unable to sync to the AOL mail server.
Ideally, these people this IMAP AOL not responding error, when they do not enter the correct information during the setup process. But apart from this, there might be several other reasons for this issue.
Fix Imap AOL mail not responding error on an iPhone or Android phone-
Suppose you can’t access your aol mail account via iPhone or Android phone. Do not worry, here we have an answer to that; you can do the steps given below.
Enable mobile data or wifi-
Before we make changes into the mail settings, you should check the internet accessibility on your device. Let’s ensure that the mobile data is turned on the iphone or android phone. If you are using wifi, then let’s make sure it has joined the wifi network.
Right after enabling the data on your smartphone, you can try to load the aol.com website on the mobile browser. Let’s see if it reachable to the website or not?
Review the IMAP & SMTP server details-
This is the most common reason for IMAP AOL not responding error on an iPhone or Android phone, mostly, AOL users do not enter the correct server routes or authorise the ports. Due to which, your app can’t sync to the AOL mail server.
Your account configuration should match the following settings.
IMAP server name: imap.aol.com
Port no- 993
SSL Type- Yes.
SMTP Mail Server- smtp.aol.com
Port no- 587
Encryption Type- TLS
You may use these steps to change the IMAP settings on the iphone-
- Initiate the settings on your iphone and proceed to the accounts & password.
- Touch the AOL account and tap on the IMAP server,
- Tap on the imap.aol.com under the primary server.
- Enter the following IMAP server detail, username and password, tap on done.
- Now go back to the smtp server, and type the smtp server details.
Now you can retry to access the IMAP account on the iphone or mail app.
Just like that, if you are an android user, you can go to the mail settings and select your account, and update the IMAP settings there as well.
Update the username and password-
apart from the server information, sometimes, you may deal with the imap.aol.com not responding error on the iphone due to the incorrect username or password.
If you have recently changed your aol password but didn’t update it on the phone, you will certainly get the IMAP AOL stopped working error.
So username and password on your IMAP account, and then retry to access AOL account on the mail app.
Reconfigure the AOL account using auto settings-
After using the above steps, if you are still dealing with the IMAP aol mail not responding error on your device. I would recommend you to delete the AOL account from the iphone and configure it using the following steps.
- Let’s go to the accounts and password section again.
- Tap on the mail account and touch the delete account button.
- Now tap the add account option, and select aol from the email list.
- Please enter your name, AOL email address and password here and press the next or continue button.
- Choose the services; you want to enable like- mail, contacts, calendar etc. and press the ok button.
While you configure your AOL account on the phone, please assure that you are using the correct login details.
Use the AOL official app –
If you are unable to add your account on the mail app or still giving you IMAP aol not responding error, i will advise you to use the AOL official app.
You can easily download the AOL official app from the app store. AOL official app is completely free.
Once AOL mail app gets install into your phone, you can login your account using this app.
Fix AOL IMAP not responding error on outlook or desktop mail app-
If you are getting an IMAP AOL stopped working error on the outlook app or mail app on the desktop. Here are the steps to troubleshoot that error. You may use these techniques.
Update the server settings-
- Let’s go to the account settings on the outlook app.
- Select your AOL account and press the edit button.
- Type the IMAP & smtp server information.
- Now update the username and password for your account as well.
- Press the more settings button and go to the outgoing servers tab.
- Put a tick mark on the outgoing server requires authentication and proceed to the advance tab.
- Now type here the port no for your incoming and outgoing servers and press the ok button.
- Finally, press the next button to save these settings.
Now your account will start syncing to the mail server.
Disable the security programs-
Sometimes, users can have the AOL.IMAP.com not responding error on the outlook app because of the security reasons. Your antivirus or firewall might block the incoming or outgoing port.
Due to which, the outlook may not sync the data from the AOL servers.
So you should turn off the firewall and antivirus on your pc for a while, and then press the send & receive button on outlook.
Let’s see if it is syncing to the mail server now or not?